Image Map

Jan 8, 2014

My Thoughts: The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine

4 yummy double chocolate chip cookies.

Cover Love:
Yes! adorable picture, love the colors and fonts as well.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
 I adore contemporary romances.  I needed a book that I knew I would actually finish and I figured this one would fit the bill.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:
Wren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to—only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how.

Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future—until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how.

One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are—and falling in love.
Romance?: Yes! And how.

My Thoughts:
Wren is a very good girl, who always does the right thing and never causes problems for her parents.  When one of her teachers basically tells her that all her hard work is for naught and that she will not reach her goals she starts rethinking her lifestyle.  Enter Grayson, a typical "bad" boy (but deep down actually pretty high achieving).  He is everything she isn't and she is everything he wants to be.  It's a perfect recipe!

This author can write chemistry!  When Wren and Grayson finally kiss, my stomach had butterflies and my knees got a little weak!  I loved reading romances that actually effect me physically.  It was just what I needed at the time.

Grayson falls head over heels for Wren and tries very hard to change for her.  And it's not just lip service, he really tries to change (and makes small baby steps towards succeeding).  This is every "good" girls dream.  I was a good girl in high school and college, but never actually fell for a bad boy.  Even in movies and TV shows I was always attracted to the good guy.  Bad boys (except for Dean Winchester) hold no attraction for me.

Here is one truth I have recognized since reading this book.  After Wren starts dating Grayson she makes a few questionable choices that really upset her parents.  Overall, they are small things, but of course, they blame Grayson and do not trust their previously very trustworthy daughter.  It drives me nuts when parents are like this.  But, I totally understand.  My own teenage son has been making a few tiny poor choices.  Very tiny.  And overall I am not losing trust in him, but when a child sets the bar really high with their good behavior, even the slightest dip makes parents really uncomfortable and worried.

This is one couple I really, really wanted to see stay together in the end.  Luckily, like most good teen romance novels there was a happy ending, but I was very worried for them both during the course of the book.

This is written in alternating viewpoints and the author nails both Wren's and Grayson's voices.

Grayson's friends were awful.  Just saying.  Not really friend types at all.

To Sum It Up:  Adored this romance, loved the main characters.  Will read this again some rainy day when nothing else in appealing to me!

eGalley requested and received via Edelweiss.  Thanks HarperCollins!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around twitter and good reads, but I really enjoyed your review. Gave me more of an inside's look, without giving too much away. The romance is a big plus for me... haha! hopeless romantic, right here! *raises hand!*

    Diana @ The Lovely Getaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too. I just love those contemporary romances. And my favorite thing is when I have a student that reads a romance that I loved as well and we can gush over the guy being our "book boyfriend." Makes me feel young!

      Delete